Indian-Style Potatoes with Okra



My potatoes are doing really well. I will post on them soon, they have started to flower which means that we can harvest them soon for baby potatoes but I think I am going to wait till fall so that we have bigger potatoes that will last us longer over the winter.

I had the pleasure of shopping at the Union Square market the other day and noticed that there was a lot of new potatoes and okra available so I thought I would share one of my favorite dishes.

Indian-Style Potatoes with Okra
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound okra, cut into three pieces each
  • 1 pound waxy potatoes, like red or white
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 one inch pieces of ginger, grated
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • canola oil to fry okra, and to stir fry potatoes
Preparation:
  1. Bring a big pot of water to boil to cook potatoes(you can also microwave them).
  2. heat oil in deep fryer for okra, fry the okra in batches for about 5 minutes, drain on paper towels.
  3. Boil potatoes, until al dente about 90 % done.
  4. In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons canola oil, saute garlic, ginger then onion and spices, add potatoes and okra. Season with salt. Serve enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts