Bacon Corn Chowder


I love soup. I could seriously eat it every day.
I think of all the times I have burnt my tongue in my life and guess what they all have in common...that's right...soup.
I like my soup and my food HOT!
About 2 minutes from where I work, there is a Panera and I am not ashamed to say, when I walk in to grab some soup to go, most of them know my name. Last night, I whipped up some Bacon Corn Chowder for dinner. My husband had a hockey game to play so he ate his typical pre-game fare…pasta. He just kept sniffing the air and looking longingly over at the pot of soup…and I knew that he and the soup had a hot date in a few hours. Just as well, I would rather let soup sit for a few hours before I eat it myself so the flavors have more time to mingle.

Bacon Corn Chowder

8 slices of bacon
1 large potato chopped into small chunks
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 bay leaves
2 cups milk or heavy cream (for thicker soup use the cream)
1-10 oz package frozen corn
2-14 oz cans creamed corn
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 cube or packet of beef bullion
A few dashes of Tabasco (or more)
A few dashes of pepper (optional)


In a large pot, saute the bacon for 3 minutes. Remove bacon and finish cooking it in the microwave for a few minutes (on a bacon tray or paper towel lined microwave safe plate) until crispy. Cool, crumble and set aside.

In the bacon fat add the chopped potatoes, onion and celery. Saute for 6 minutes over med-high heat stirring often.
Add in milk/cream, corn, creamed corn, vegetable broth, bay leaves and bullion. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add in Tabasco, pepper and reserved, crispy crumbled bacon. Let it sit for a bit on the stove allowing flavors to blend - even better if you make it a few hours prior to serving. Reheat and serve.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts