French Onion Soup



This one dish is that I know ill make my husband love me forever, lol!!

We all have our favorites, for my Johnny, French Onion Soup is at the top of the list. When looking over a menu when out, he pays little or no attention to any other soup that may be offered, no matter what time of year it is...that boy only has eye .for FOS!

Remember when you  were a  teenager, you would go to the mall and look at all the clothes, perfume, jewelry etc with your girlfriends. Not me... instead I would look at the kitchen stores...I would go in wand wander forever. My friends were always like "what are you doing!!"  Look at that cute boy and I was like, aaah yeah, I'll be right there.  My sister who is 9 years younger than me was (and is) always like ooooh come on Col...come on...dooooon't do it!! But I can't help it.

I think I was 21, when Valentines Day fell on a Saturday and I decided to cook an "I love my family meal" .  All were summoned to my parents house and I cooked my butt off. I decided to kick the feast off with French Onion Soup. Maybe it was because I needed an excuse to by soup crocks...maybe I just wanted to make that soup, who knows...all I know is that I had an excuse to go shopping. I bought 12 shiny jet black crocks in which to serve the soup...and I still use them almost 20 years later!

French Onion Soup
4 TBS butter
3 huge  Vidilia/sweet onion, sliced into rings
1  TBS flour
2 quarts beef stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound shredded Gruyere cheese, Swiss cheese or a combination of both
1 loaf french bread, sliced into 1 bread round per crock
* Depending on broth used, if you want it more beefy add in a bit of beef bullion

Melt the butter on a large pot. Add in the onions and saute until they are translucent and golden, stirring often. Add in the flour and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes more. Add in the stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
The more brown and caramel the onions, the more flavor they will give your soup.
While you are working on your onions, slice enough broead to allow 1 round per crock/bor.  Smear a bit of olive oil on each piece of bread (both sides) and bake at 325 degrees until crispy, about 6-10 minutes, then flip over and bake another 5.  Add the wine to your soup and remove from heat.
If using crocks, ladle soup into each one. Top with a piece of bread and cover with your grated cheese. Place under a medium broiler and broil until cheese is melted and just golden.
Depending on the size bowl or crock used, this serves 4 to 6.

Enjoy!!

Colleen

Comments

Popular Posts