Chambord Chocolate Mousse



I love old men...they are so stinkin' cute!!

Since my teen years, whenever my sister and I have been at the mall or out and about we often point adorable old, grandpa-like men out and say things like...oooh he's so cute...or look at him!  We have occasionally invited an older man eating alone to join us. Someone observing would think we were looking at a young hottie...nope...not us we were looking at the poster boy's for grandfathers lol!


Let's get one thing straight though...it is not liking as in attracted to kinda thing...it's about thinking certain old men are the epitome of what a cute and cuddly grandpa would look like.

I grew up knowing my grandmothers and great-grandmothers (both GG's each lived until a ripe old 99...you go ladies!!) But the men....they died before my time.

So yesterday as I went to get a salad for lunch (aaaah yeah, you know it - at Panera) there was this 80-ish older man with a cane a few people ahead of me in line. He let the ladies in front of me ahead of him and then he let me in front of him as well. I gave him a big smile (he was a cutie and I could tell he was a kindred spirit) and he said "I'm waitin' for my girlfriend"

I laughed...and he immediately said "I have been waitin' for her for over 60 years" with a chuckle and a sparkle in his eye. He then said..."you know what makes it work?"

I said no WHAT??

He said "Fear!!" I-cracked-up!!

I then shared with him that every time I hear about a man that did something nice for his wife/girlfriend...my husband is in TROUBLE!! And every time I hear about a man that did something not so nice to his wife/girlfriend...my husband is in TROUBLE!! He instantly "got it" and cracked up and replied THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT WORKS!!!

This dessert is one of those special treats I make once or twice a year for my husband to make up for being a crazy girl!!! It does take some doing...but it is the real deal, as good or better than what many restaurants offer and light as air...it is so very worth it!

I have used pre-made chocolate cups and filled them with the mousse in the past and folks have devoured them....However, this year not a cup to be found!!! Nowhere! So I attempted to make some of my own by "painting inverted mini cupcake liners, the backs of mini cupcake pans and something else I can't remember at the moment - they all ended up in the trash!! I will stick to buying them...when they resurface that is! If I am serving the mousse after a special occasion dinner I serve it in a wine glass with a bit of shaved or grated chocolate on top.

This recipe will make enough to serve 12 in a half filled good sized wine glass.


Enjoy!!

Chambord Chocolate Mousse

Adapted from The 1990 New York Times Cookbook

2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces semi-sweet morsels
6 eggs, separated
3 TBS water
1/4 cup Chambord (Raspberry flavored liquor, they sell small bottles at the register that will do the trick...or get the big one and add to some homemade hot chocolate)
6 tablespoons sugar
Chocolate bar for shaving for garnish

Beat the heavy cream until stiff, add in 2 TBS of sugar at the end. Set aside.
Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and in 4TBS sugar and continue to beat until stiff. Set aside.
Melt the chocolate in your microwave for about a minute (maybe less, maybe more depending on your microwave) stir until smooth.
In a saucepan over low heat, heat the water and egg yolks, whisking constantly (you don't want to end up with scrambled eggs) heat the mixture until it begins to thicken, remove from heat and pour in the Chambord. Put back on the heat and continue whisking until thick like a hollandaise sauce...it may look a bit greenish and that is ok.
Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the melted chocolate.
Scrape mixture into a very big bowl - you need room to work...fold the your whipped cream you made then fold in the egg white mixture you made. Mix it all well and immediately place mousse into your chosen glasses or if you were lucky enough to get some your chocolate cups...and if you made the cups and they look good...let me know what the heck you did...I remember know I tried making them with aluminum foil as well...yeesh!
Chill until serving time and grate some chocolate from a chocolate bar on top of you like.
Sorry about all the bowls and feeling like an octopus...but tell me...wasn't it worth it???

Comments

Popular Posts