Grilled Grassfed Steak with Farm Girl Bearnaise!

Grilling steak in my home has become a team effort--romantic even. This is fun, and in many cases the Irishman is the one at the grill. He finds that charcoal works really well with our thin cut grass-fed steaks. We season the steak with salt and pepper and grill it fast, only a few minutes on each side and then let it rest for about 10 minutes before we serve it. Here we grilled a T-bone. I love to do sauces when the weather gets a bit colder but in all honestly our steak can stand on it's own. Our beef is also well marbled, so the Bearnaise sauce might have been a bit of an over kill but it was extremely good with the boiled potatoes and steamed fresh vegetables: a perfect decadent feast.

This "Steak with Bearnaise" is a nice summer meets fall meal, and I love how the fresh chives and tarragon brighten up the sauce. The reason I termed this "farm girl Bearnaise" is because I used what I had on hand. I dislike having too many vinegars in my pantry and always try to have apple cider vinegar on hand--- it is my favorite vinegar in dressing and the sauce turned out lovely.


Farm Girl Bearnaise

Serves 2

Ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar(other light colored vinegars work too)
  • 1 teaspoon of tarragon, minced
  • 1 teaspoon of fresh chives, minced
  • half a stick of butter, melted
  • 1 egg yolk*
  • salt to taste

special equipment: double boiler

Preparation:
  1. Heat double boiler, when it is boiling
  2. add vinegar and herbs,
  3. whisk in egg yolk
  4. then whisk in butter.
  5. Enjoy!

*you need to be careful with raw eggs. I use our own eggs for preparations like this.

Comments

Popular Posts