Delicious Banana Bread Coffee Cake With Cinnamon Glaze




I can't wait till my kids get off the bus so they can get a tasty surprise, I seriously love surprising them with fun food!  Stay tuned over the next week for what I came up with.

You know how we all run to the food store to get "milk, bread and eggs" whenever a snowstorm or hurricane is in the forecast?  I think that banana's should be mentioned in that mantra...don't you?

I'd love to know how many pounds of banana's are consumed annually.  I'm sure it's craaaazy!



Sure I like to eat a banana from time to time, but the sweet spot for me is when the banana's begin to turn and I can bake with them...oooh yeah!

I like to change up what it is I do with brown bananas I've done the standard Banana Bread, Banana Bread Cookies, Banana & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with a Cinnamon Buttercream (that buttercream is unbelievable...you have to make it!!) and this over-the-top Toffee Crunch Banana Bread that I made for one of the sites I develop recipes for.  Last week I decided to change up my standard Banana Bread and make it into more of a Banana Bread Coffee Cake and if the speed in which it vanished from this earth is a measurement of its tastiness, well then as my kids would say, it was epic!

If you make something with old banana's other than what I mentioned above, please share it with me...I would love to hear about it! I'm always looking for new things to try.  Thanks!!




Banana Bread Coffee Cake
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter, room temp
1 egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 very ripe bananas 
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oats (optional)
1/3 cup flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinch of salt
4 TBS butter

Cinnamon Glaze
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TBS milk

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix together sugar, butter, egg, cream and vanilla in a large mixing bowl, with your mixer on medium.  Add in your bananas and mash them a bit (with a potato masher) then add in your cream.  Add flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix in a small bow until just combined, then add that to your batter and mix until just incorporated.

Pour batter into your well-greased loaf pan. Combine the topping ingredients and mix with a pastry cutter or your fingertips until crumbly, then sprinkle the mixture liberally over the loaf.

Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out mostly clean (banana bread is thick...so a little moist crumb adhering to the stick is ok...just not a wet batter.)

To make the glaze combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth.  Once cake cools, drizzle glaze over-top.

 Notes: You can totally add in a handful of chocolate chips or cinnamon chips to your topping if you like.

Hope you love it!!

Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts