Cheeseburger & Crispy Onion Ring Flatbread




I don't always have time to make what I want from scratch, so when I find brands like Alexia, at sold at Walmart, that both give me the taste I am looking for and have great quality ingredients, I am all over them! I couldn't make onion rings better than these...the crunch is fabulous and just what I want in an onion ring! And the variety of fries they have are delicious.  I can't wait to try their new Rosemary and Sea Salt Fries.  Looks like I am headed to Walmart soon!


I am rather obsessed with the concept of flatbreads and have been since they came upon my food radar 4-5 years ago.  You can do anything with them...like anything.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert or apps, just think of it and make it happen.

Do you have a favorite flatbread combination or recipe? Spill!  I need to know about it and try it! 

One of the things that attracts me to flatbreads as a meal or appetizer, is the fact that they are so easy to put together.  Especially if you use pre-made pizza dough or store-bought flatbread.  Sure I have made my own flatbread many times either as a pizza dough or traditional yeast-less flatbread, however on weeknights when I am running kids to singing, dancing or ice hockey and homework needs to be done...I am all about convenience where I can get it!

This delicious Cheeseburger & Crispy Onion Ring Flatbread came together in under 30 minutes!
I used fresh pizza dough from my local pizza shop at a cost of just $2.50.  Can you beat THAT?  No making, no mess, no clean-up or wait time!  Buying pizza dough from my "boys" is one of my best kept secrets, lol!

And I like perusing the aisles of my Walmart for ideas and ingredients, since they often carry items my supermarket does not.  Alexia Fries, Onion Rings and Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries (yum!) and more are all things my local grocery store does not carry.  I like that I can find them (and other great items) at Walmart!


I started with organic ground beef, some gorgeous scallions, organic eggs and the all-natural Alexia Crispy Onions Rings.  No frying, breading or mess...all those crispy and delicious onion rings require are 12-15 minutes in your oven, which for this recipe is what the dough requires...easy peasy!

This gorgeous and delicious Cheeseburger and Crispy Onion Ring Flatbread with a bottle of wine and someone you love or a group of friends on your deck or patio on a Saturday night...will make you
happy!  Pinky swear!

Something about perfectly cooked egg yolks running in and over the burger pieces, mingling with the cheese and warm bread paired with the satisfying crunch of the crispy onion rings...is pure happy-food-dance-bliss!  



Cheeseburger & Crispy Onion Ring Flatbread
1 disk of fresh pie dough, homemade or from your local pizza place, halved
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 pound organic or freshly ground, ground beef
Worcestershire sauce
10 ounces of Alexia Crispy Onion Rings
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack or  Provolone cheese
1/4 cup scallions sliced thin
2-3 eggs

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly flour a baking sheet and shape 1/2 of the pizza dough into a thin rectangular shape, about 14x9 and  lightly drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of olive or grapeseed oil over-top of it, gently spread it evenly with your fingertips.  Season with Kosher salt & pepper. Set it aside.

Season your ground meat with Kosher salt, pepper and a drizzle of Worcestershire sauce.  Shape it into small "slider" sized patties.  Heat a skillet and cook the burgers to medium or to your liking. Once you flip the burgers, pop your dough into the oven and bake for 10-13 minutes or until it begins to turn golden in a few spots.  Remove it from the oven.  At the same time you place your dough in the oven, place your Alexia Onion Rings on another baking sheet and bake according to package instructions, remove when crisped to your liking.  Cut them into quarters.

Sprinkle 3/4 of the cheese over-top your flatbread, place your burger patties over-top, breaking some in half if you wish, sprinkle on the remaining cheese and place the onion ring pieces all across the flatbread.  Pop it back into the oven.

Quickly, cook 2-3 eggs in a small egg pan for 2 minutes or so, just until firm enough to transfer to your flatbread (season the eggs).  Place the eggs on top of your loaded flatbread, here and there.  Pop the flatbread back into the oven for 2 minutes or just until the eggs are finished cooking and the yolk is bright orange but still perfectly runny. Careful even a minute too much and you looks that perfect runny egg.

Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the scallions, cut into sections and enjoy!

Colleen's Notes: This may sound complicated, but it is not.  Its just that you are cooking/baking a few things simultaneously.  This is prep to table in 30 minutes or less. This recipe yields 1 flatbread, you will have half a disk of dough left over if you wish to make another...just double the ingredients OR make some garlic knots or bread sticks with it!



Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts