Raspberry-Ricotta Cake


It is hard to believe that a cake this simple to make can be so delightful to eat. It is not too sweet, so I fear it will disappoint those who have an insistent sweet tooth, but the rest of you will be in dessert paradise. As you can tell, I really liked this cake and stop just short of saying it made my socks go up and down, The reason for my hesitation is that I find seeds in this type of dessert off-putting. The berries that are available now have seeds in them and they are not consistent in their sweetness or their size. I used the full component of berries suggested in the recipe. It is important that the berries you use be frozen. The batter for this cake is almost clay-like and soft berries would be mangled when you fold them into the cake. I am going to make the cake again next week with frozen strawberries and when marionberries and sweet cherries come into season I'll give it yet another try. I really, really like this cake. It is moist and has a soft, lovely crumb that I find most appealing. While it will keep nicely for two days, I prefer the texture of the cake the first day it is made. I do hope you'll give it a try. It makes a unique tea table addition and it would be perfect for Mother's Day, which will be here soon. Here is how the cake is made.



Raspberry-Ricotta Cake
Ingredients:
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
1-1/2 cups ricotta
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup frozen raspberries or blackberries, divided

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and lightly coat paper and pan with nonstick spray.
2) Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3) Whisk eggs, ricotta, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Fold into dry ingredients just until blended. Then fold in butter, followed by 3/4 cup raspberries, taking care not to crush berries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and scatter remaining 1/4 cup raspberries over top.
4) Bake cake until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–60 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before unmolding. Yield: 8 servings.

Cook's Notes: Cake can be made 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.


Comments

Popular Posts